Die Mutter dieses Forums.
Antworten
MDN91
schaut sich noch um
schaut sich noch um

Servicing the rear shock + new spring

Beitrag von MDN91 »

Hi guys,

I'm going to a local dirtbike shop to get the rear shock of my Freewind serviced, does anyone have data on oil type, amount etc? :?:

And, I would like a progressive rear spring, but can't seem to find one :roll: Maybe one from another bike fits, any tips on this?
Soso
schaut sich noch um
schaut sich noch um

Re: Servicing the rear shock + new spring

Beitrag von Soso »

Hello fella,

Servicing the shock absorber isn't a big deal I went through a couple of iterations to find the best setting but you need to understand that I'm quite heavy (125kg).
For the oil I have use Kyaba shock oil first but it was way to fluid, it makes a lot of sense when used on high end motocross shock absorber with plenty of adjustable settings but on the Freewind this doesn't work as compression/rebound system is pretty archaic :lol:
So I have buy KYB fork oil 7.5w and planned to mixed it with the shock oil till I find the right adjustment but I found out the 7.5 was giving good results straight forward
I haven't measured the oil quantity but it isn't that much and I still have plenty out of the 1L can.
I guess there's two spring rates on the Freewind depending of the manufacturing year. Mine was fitted with a 95N.m after calculation and couple of measurement on different bikes the best was the Kawasaki ER6 spring. It's plug and play, much stiffer than the original with 150N.m but it cop well with my weight, but again consider I'm 125kg.
To match the front end I have installed BMW R nine T urban GS springs which are about 50% stiffer than the original according to my measurement :wink:
Like that the bike was fine but I wasn't happy with the original stance one option was to set the fork in the lower position and keep the shock in high mode... but instead I did start to search an length adjustable shock. I found a very nice Fournales spring less, I have read on multiple forums that they were excellent and I can confirm that. But I did realise my mistake: on this one you can adjust the spring rate finely but not the length :(
Finally I went to UK for a business trip and I got plenty of parts for my baby there :twisted: and one was a Nitron length adjustable :streichel: the spring was a std rate so I have swapped it with my Kawasaki spring and now I have the perfect setting.
Chefschrauber
Spezialist
Spezialist

Beitrag von Chefschrauber »

12 jears later... but a good answer... :mrgreen:
Hatte mal ne schöne Freewind
Soso
schaut sich noch um
schaut sich noch um

Beitrag von Soso »

What do you mean? The post was from mid November! Were you looking for the same info 12 years ago :?:
Antworten