Die Mutter dieses Forums.
Antworten
bmboomer
ganz neu hier
ganz neu hier

New Member attempting LCD speedo repair

Beitrag von bmboomer »

Hi
I am a new XF650 owner from Sunshine Coast QLD Australia, & I have joined this forum hoping to be able to get some helpful tips about the new bike.
I am enjoying my new toy so far, but I have a very badly sun damaged speedo that is very hard to see. I have read that as long as the lcd segments are working, which they are, an LCD display can often be repaired by replacing the polarizing film, which is on the front & the back of the glass lCD panel.
I got some of this film delivered from USA, & set about trying to do the repair.
I found after I had taken the actual glass LCD panel out, that my sun damage was actually on the back polarized film of the panel, which also has a semi transparent film applied over the polarized film. Anyway, it was quite a mission to get those films off, specially the adhesive. I tried all sorts of goo removing products, & the only thing I could find that would shift it was general purpose thinners. Unfortunately the fixed markings for the Tacho, & the Fuel Gauge also have come off with the adhesive.
A local printer can print those for me onto transparent adhesive backed film. or I could get them screen printed onto the glass like they were originally, but in both cases I would have to make a black & White pdf file, of the markings, exactly scaled to fit the lcd segments that are laminated in the glass panel.
The only way I can think of to make that pdf file, would be to start off with a really good photo, taken square on to a good LCD, with the ignition off, & no reflections. I would then have to try to scale it & adjust it, in an image editing program, until I was sure that it would fit the dormant LCD segments on my glass panel.
With hindsight, I should have taken photos before the markings started coming off, but I didn't. I have looked on Google Images, but I can't seem to find anything that is clear enough, without a lot of reflection, & taken from a straight on perspective, so that it might be able to be scaled properly & be usefull.
So now I am asking for favors already. I am hoping someone can provide me with a nice image that I can use to try & make this pdf file. I thought a picture of a good one on someone's bike might do it, or what would be really good would be a scan of just an actual glass panel with good markings if anyone had a spare one in their collection.
Sorry to be asking for stuff in my first post, but I don't know where else to turn. Sorry too that I can't speak any German.
Cheers Simon
blaze
Spezialist
Spezialist

Re: New Member attempting LCD speedo repair

Beitrag von blaze »

Hi Simon,
i can provide you the two pictures this evening. But your approach sounds like a lot of work.
Why not just buy a used speedometer?

Best wishes
Julian
AoS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beitrag von AoS »

I just took the LCD from a spare speedo and tried to get a decent photo. But I don't have the right camera equipment. Either I have too much distortion when the camera is close or the image is rather blurry. I can get a flatbed scanner from the basement, I think you'd be able to make factory grade prints from that. But I'd have to find the scanner first. :)

Anyhow, here are two images I made:
http://www.xf650.de/forum3/images/archi ... _close.jpg
http://www.xf650.de/forum3/images/archi ... do_far.jpg
Schönste Freewind der Welt:
http://www.lucasmatic.de
blaze
Spezialist
Spezialist

Beitrag von blaze »

Hope with this and Aos images you can get a clean repo.
Dateianhänge
IMG_20170704_202948.jpg
IMG_20170704_202912.jpg
bmboomer
ganz neu hier
ganz neu hier

Beitrag von bmboomer »

Hi Julian
Thank you so much for your help. Your pictures are great, & I'm sure I would have been able to do something with them, but I've had a stupid accident with my LCD panel. I was giving it a final clean, before scanning it to get an image that was in scale , & I went & dropped it on the floor & broke it. I was going to try to adjust one of your pictures to match the size of the scanned image, but I've blown the whole idea now. I feel so stupid, & I'm really sorry to have put you to any trouble.
I guess I will have to try & find a second hand one now. It had become a bit of a challenge to rescue mine, but I'll never know now, if it would have been successful.
Cheers Simon
Dateianhänge
IMG_20170706_222105.jpg
ronenfe
Profi
Profi

Beitrag von ronenfe »

It has just happened to me today, I dropped the glass screen and it broke. Does anyone here want to sell only the lcd screen ? or a whole speedo?
Powerflip
Profi
Profi

Beitrag von Powerflip »

Hi, I have a defect Speedometer. If you want it, I can send it to you. It would be nice, if you pay for shipping.
Please send me a PM.
Regards
Powerflip
ronenfe
Profi
Profi

Beitrag von ronenfe »

Thanks. I've already ordered from ebay a complete speedo.
Antworten